What is Adopt-a-Trail?
The Adopt-a-Trail program
is a combined effort between the Luce
Line Trail Association and volunteers, along with the cooperation
of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
Individuals, families and organizations
can be responsible for approximately 1 mile of trail. Some portions
of the trail have two separate treadways to maintain (limestone
and grass trails).
Volunteers can help keep the
Luce Line Trail free of unsightly litter, monitor conditions
and perform routine maintenance.
- Pick up litter and debris at
least 3 times a year.
- Make routine inspections for
general damage, down trees, sinkholes, etc ... and report these
problems to the Trail Manager.
- Pruning of brush and branches
(trimmings can be scattered in brush and weeds alongside trail).
- Removal of debris, such as tree
branches, from the drainage ditches along side of trail.
- Mowing and weed trimming along
trail ... or report the need for mowing to the Trail Manager.
Volunteers Agree to . . .
- Complete and return the Adopt-a-Trail
Application and the Volunteer Application.
- Be courteous to trail users.
- Have a sense of responsibilty
for safety for self and others.
- Review the Safety Tips to be
aware of the hazards of working on a trail right-of-way and take
- Pick up litter and perform other
trail maintenance on a designated segment of the trail for at
least a two year period.
- Work during daylight hours only.
- Provide adequate supervision
to participants eighteen years of age or younger.
- Stay within the area between
the right-of-way boundaries, marked by State Trail Boundary sign
posts. Trespassing on private property is not allowed. Pick up
needed supplies from the Trail Manager during regular business
- Arrange litter pick up date
in advance with the Trail Manager if needed.
- Place filled trash bags at prearranged
locations determined by the Trail Manager. You are encouraged
to recycle appropriate materials for your own benefit.
- Return borrowed or unused supplies
to the Trail Manager at such time that you no longer need them.
The Trail Manager will . . .
- Provide trash bags and hand
tools as needed.
- Arrange to remove filled trash
bags from the adopted trail.
- Arrange to remove large, heavy
or hazardous materials as needed.
Trail Manager (Plymouth to Winsted)
DNR Trails and Waterways
3980 Watertown Road
Maple Plain, MN 55259
Phone: (612) 475-0371
Trail Manager (Winsted to Cosmos)
DNR Trails and Waterways
20596 Highway 7
Hutchinson, MN 55350
Phone: (320) 234-7616
Luce Line Trail Association
PO Box 102
Watertown, MN 55388
Phone: (612) 955-2852
Along the Way | Trail
Events | Organizations | This
History | About
This Site | Contact Us | Luce
Line Home Page